Sunday, March 25, 2012

5/40: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The book was so raw and beautiful it's hard to even write a review. The characters were true to their situations life put them in. Hazel and Gus were the perfect compliments to each other. John Green has a way with words that makes you live the story.

My family has a big history with cancer and shortly after our wedding my aunt passed because of it. I am still angry with God over taking my aunt, but I also know if my heart that she's in heaven and not in pain any more. Reading The Fault in Our Stars was either going to be very hard for me or give me closure. At least I thought so. It wasn't either.

I didn't cry in this book like I thought I would. And that's OK.
I didn't feel terribly sad. And that's OK.
I didn't feel peace at the end. And that's OK.

Or is it?

I had such a hard time writing this review. It's been nearly a month since I finished reading it. I didn't feel much of anything. I didn't feel much of anything. I'm not sure if that's because the book did such a great job at describing how Hazel and Gus having cancer was just a part of their life. Or if it's because I've dealt with this horrible disease so much in my life with extended family that I've become numb to the shock of it. In my world, people get cancer and die. Harsh yes, but that's my reality. Even if they survive it once, twice, eventually it comes back and the end is inevitable. I know two people that have beaten their fight and they are such a miracle. They are an anomaly in my eyes.

I appreciated John Greens writing and even though I'm not sure how to describe what I really felt after reading, I loved this book. The rawness in it and the lack of sugarcoating was needed. It was my first John Green book and I will definitely pick up another one.
View all my reviews
chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!