Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2/20: The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean

The Complete Guide to Sports NutritionThe Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

From Goodreads: "The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition "is the definitive practical handbook for anyone wanting a performance advantage. This fully updated and revised edition incorporates the latest cutting-edge research. Written by one of the country's most respected sports nutritionists, it provides the latest research and information to help you succeed. This seventh edition includes accessible guidance on the following topics: maximising endurance, strength and performance, how to calculate your optimal calorie, carbohydrate and protein requirements, advice on improving body composition specific advice for women, children and vegetarians, eating plans to cut body fat, gain muscle and prepare for competition, sport-specific nutritional advice.

Really enjoyed this book for my course. It was informative in a way that took some knowledge I already knew and gave me reasons and justifications. It was simple to follow for anyone interested in sports nutrition. It's not a book for just the athlete, but for anyone that does some form of activity, whether that be once or twice a week at the gym or an occasional runner.

I especially liked the calculations and formulas it provided to calculate your calories needed as well as how much of those would be carbohydrates, protein and fat. It really puts a great perspective on things.

I did the calculations at the end of the book as a project for my course on my husband. He was shocked to find out he was trying to lose weight by eating way below his Resting Metabolic Rate. That means his body wasn't letting go of weight because it thought he was in a famine or starving. Eating below his RMR caused his body to hold onto everything it had rather than burning. Now that we have him on a different plan, I am eager to see what his results will be in the next 3 months.

View all my reviews

chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!