Sunday, May 13, 2012

14/40: The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (The Giver, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

From Goodreads: Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

This has got to be one of the more powerful books I've read in a long time. I can't describe the heart-ache, the joy that this book gave me. The overwhelming sense human kind is missing something is profound. I gave this one to my husband to read and he felt the same.

I know a lot of people who read this in grade school and hated it. I can see how they would. You're young and haven't seen much of the world. I think this is a book that can be appreciated when you are older. I'm not saying I'm old and wise, far from it, but I believe I have a better appreciation of what the message is than I would have if I read it as a teen.
There was a lot of back and forth reading for me with this one. I kept having to go back and made sure I read something right and for things to click. Like I wasn't really sure I was reading it correctly. Amazing. The way it was written was simple enough to fly through, but gave enough of a picture that you really got it.

Jonas was a great character. He was young, eager and once The Giver starting showing him memories he wanted more. Not just the good, but the bad as well. He wanted understanding.

View all my reviews

chicfit

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time favorite books. I read it at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to have read it. Really makes you think.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!