Tuesday, August 14, 2012

23/40: The Girl in the Garden

The Girl in the GardenThe Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

From Goodreads: The redemptive journey of a young woman unsure of her engagement, who revisits in memory the events of one scorching childhood summer when her beautiful yet troubled mother spirits her away from her home to an Indian village untouched by time, where she discovers in the jungle behind her ancestral house a spellbinding garden that harbors a terrifying secret.

This is another book I've read that is just ok. It took a long time for the story to go anywhere and wrapped up in the last 100 pages. And not just wrapped up, SHOVED FULL of reveals. There was too many for my liking and I thought a couple of "secrets" were a bit unnecessary.

The writing was good however. It flowed well, the description was great and I loved the setting. There was just enough description for me to picture where everyone was, what was going on and move on with the story. There were a lot of characters but the few the story followed were easy to feel for and relate to. There were quite a few outer characters that I thought would have a big part in the book but never came back into the story. It irks me when characters are introduced, but then are just left alone.

This was a book for my book club so I'm hoping there will be good discussions about it.

View all my reviews

chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!