Tuesday, June 14, 2011

23/50: Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Great follow up to The Name of the Wind. Rothfuss is an amazing author and this book was worth the wait. I love Kvothe and all his adventures. He grew up so much in this book and became less of the boy and more the man that legend speaks of.

I couldn't give it 5 stars like I did Name of the Wind. Here's why. It was slower. It took me 49 days to read, while NoTW took me 29. I'm sure this has a lot to do with my life being crazy right now, but I didn't have that same pull to sit down and ignore life to finish it. I felt there were a lot of parts in this book that were overly descriptive. At some points I began to skim just to get the story moving.

With that said.... Read this book! Kvothe is an amazing young man. He deals with so many things from a fairy that kills men, to a culture that has it's own language and rules. A king, a woman that refuses his help and an enemy that will no doubt be showing his face again in the next book.

There are so many things that Kvothe learns to deal with and squeek his way through I'm amazed he's still alive! A lot of reviews I've read on this book talk about how the reader doesn't like Kvothe. They give reasons of how he's so full of himself, he's cocky, he thinks he's better than he is. True on all accounts, however that is what makes him great. Without those characteristics, we wouldn't have this enchanting story. We wouldn't have Kvothe the Bloodless and we wouldn't have Kote the quiet inn keeper.

I'm hoping we won't have to wait another year and a half for the 3rd installment to come out. I will wait in anticipation. As long as it takes. Rothfuss is one of the best writers I've read anything by in a long while and his books are worth the wait.

SBC 2011: Continue a series - 10 points

View all my reviews

chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!