Sunday, March 24, 2013

Streusel-topped Apple Muffins (Gluten-free)

I finally got around to going to the store and buying all the ingredients I would need to start baking my own breads and muffins. I'm tired of paying $6 a loaf and it's nearly impossible to find gluten-free baked goods downtown Calgary for a quick snack.

I've tried converting a few of my favourite recipes by using a gluten-free flour mix but they are typically crumbly. I think if I start adding Xanthan gum to those recipes it would work out really great.

I picked up The Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread by Bette Hagman at random only because it had a recipe for French Bread. (I really miss French Toast on the weekends, yet I haven't made it yet)

This book is a good one for people who like to bake. There are recipes for bread, muffins, bagels (yes you read that right), and more. They are fairly simple, requiring a few key gluten-free staples you should probably have in your pantry.

Streusel-topped Apple Muffins
from The Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Breads

Preheat oven to 375°
Grease muffin tin
Topping 12 - 15 muffins
Sugar 1/4 Cup
Chopped Walnuts 1/4 Cup
(Epicure) Apple Pie Spice 1/2 teaspoon
Butter or margarine 1 tablespoons
Batter
Four Flour Bean Mix 1/4 Cup
Xanthan Gum 1 teaspoon
Baking powder 2 teaspoons
Baking Soda 2 teaspoons
Salt 1 teapsoon
Sugar 1/2 Cup
(Epicure) Apple Pie Spice 1 1/2 teaspoons
Eggs 2
Sour Cream (or non-dairy substitute) 1/2 Cup
Butter or Margarine, melted 4 tablespoons
Peeled, Cored and grated Apple 1 1/2 cups (2 medium)
Chopped Walnuts 1/2 cup

Topping:
Blend sugar, walnuts, spice and butter in a small bowl. Set aside

Batter:
In a mixing bowl, whist together the flour mix, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and spice. Set aside
In a smaller bowl, blend eggs, sour cream and melted butter. Mix in the apple.
Stir into the flour mixture. Add the nuts and spoon into the prepared muffin cups.
Sprinkle on the topping.
Bake about 20-22 minutes.
Serve warm or cold.



chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!