Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Where are all the book reviews?

I miss reading!

To clarify, I miss reading fiction and zipping through books in a week. Where did all my book reviews go? I haven't stopped reading, I'm just reading different books that are taking a LONG time to get through.

In February, I signed up for a Holistic Nutritionist diploma through the Canada School of Natural Nutrition. I was able to sign up for the Introduction courses and decide from there if I want to continue through the program. (I am completely in love with this course and will be signing up for the rest as soon as I'm done the first two courses) Why in the world would I have taken on this journey? Because I wanted to. Because I have had a huge health change based on diet changes and the more I talk to people, the more anecdotes I hear of the same success. I love helping people, and I'm passionate about food. I cook breakfast and dinners every day. I hate overly processed food and LOVE the farmer's market year round. Epicure was my first look into nutrition and how to make meals healthier, and it's just going to continue.

This diploma also fits with our life plans. It's a goal to work towards that will allow me, in the far off future, to stay home with our children (God-willing) and still have an income. I plan to teach piano from my home and be a nutritionist. It will be a slow business to build, but one I can do for a long time. I can work from home, or from an office, such as a chiropractor, massage therapist, etc. There are a lot of options and it's out of the IT world, which I believe will make me very happy.

I just finished course number 1, and I am loving every minute of it. Between piano, day job and studying, reading non-school books is taking a backseat. I've been reading my GIANT textbook for the past 2 months, and it's awesome. Frenchie laughs at me every time I start a sentence or text with "Did you know..." and then proceed to tell him some nutritional information he probably didn't want to know. He is my guinea pig for the next 2 years.

The best part about telling people I'm doing this diploma? They typically look at me with a thoughtful expression and say "Yes, I can see you doing that and being really good at it" Having the support of my family, friends and people who just met me is a huge boost.

I set my goal for reading this year at 40 books. Then I modified it to 30 once I signed up for these courses. Reading is reading, and the monster of a text I'm chugging through WILL count as a book sometime this year. I am attempting to read one to two non-school books a month which seems to be all I can manage. I think once summer break hits and my piano students are done for a while, I'll be able to devour some more fiction. Until then, I miss writing reviews!

You can see the books in store for me on my Goodreads shelves.
Textbooks
Recommended Reading

chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!