Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Happiness Project - February 2013: Energy

February is a good month to focus on Energy. I turn another year older (Happy Birthday to me!) and I'm finally out of vacation mode. While it's a great idea to start the year off on vacation, it takes that much longer to "get going" when you get back. Plus, everyone around is already in go-mode.

Take care of my body and mind.
- Focus on working out twice a week with weights according to my chiropractor. I need to kick my own butt and start healing. "My body is the only one I have" and if I don't take care of it, it will breakdown. I'd like to be a smooth running brand new Ferrari over a 1980's clunker.
- Focus on running 2 - 3 times a week. I will be signing up for a 5K this May with my sister and need to get myself running more consistently.
- Keep up the gluten-free diet. I can't believe what a difference it makes. I need to start baking muffins again so that I stop buying them at work. Not only are mine gluten-free (work ones aren't) but I'll save money too.
- Cut the caffeine. I really need to stop going to Starbucks. There is no reason I need it. I can still go for a break with the rest of my coworkers, but I can have tea instead. I have so many different kinds, it's well worth the Starbucks break-up. And I can't be doing the once a week thing. I tried that. It then became 2, then 3, then every day. Cold Turkey. I think this be the hardest resolution to keep.

Get ready for bed an hour before bed time.
- I say an hour because that will give me a chance to settle, relax and watch a show or read. Then when it's time to go to bed, I can fall into bed without going through a huge process. My hope is that I will also fall asleep more easily as well as get more sleep altogether.

Organize: Punt/Keep
- I'd like to focus on not only cleaning out the closets but the basement storage rooms as well. There is a lot of stuff in bins that I didn't even know we had. That should tell me something. There is also a lot of things that I can either sell, or donate or put in a garage sale and get rid of it!
- I also want to clear out my online life. Being away for a week and coming back to so much email is ridiculous when I deleted close to 3/4 of them. I should be feeding myself useful information that I actually care about. This includes Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc.

Nagging Task
- I've had a bag of clothes that needs to be fixed or hemmed sitting in the closet for months. It's time I find a seamstress and get things taken in, hemmed and fixed up. I do have more clothes than I think, it's just not wearable at the moment.

Since February is a short month, I think this will be a good start. Hopefully the first two will become habits, and the third one will be ongoing. Spring Cleaning/Organizing is great, but it can be daunting and exhausted. A monthly purge of a shelf or a room does wonders. The last one is a "just do it already" thing.

chicfit