Friday, November 6, 2009

Writing your own Obituary

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I'm currently in the RCIA process. I'm converting to be a Catholic. The RCIA has classes every week to teach us about the Church, Faith and help us to learn what Catholicism is about. There are some bad classes where I learn nothing, some good classes where I learn a great deal, and then there are the interesting classes that are cause for discussion.

Last night was one of those last types of classes. We were talking about Purgatory and how once we die, we face judgement and we can not do anything from that point on to change the time it will take for us to be purified and enter Heaven.

 A friend and fellow blogger was blogging on the Gestalt Therapy/Theory. She was having a hard time understanding how useful it was to have people write what would be on their epitaph and how that could lead to writing your own obituary. The thought of that made her uneasy.  I had to chuckle in class last night, because that's exactly what we were asked to do.

So here is what I wrote off the top of my head in class last night. We only had about 8 minutes to write it.
We were to answer these questions:
When were you born/died? What was the cause of your death? Who survived you? What will you be most remembered for? What was your biggest regret?

Born 1985, died 2082 of old age. She is survived by her husband, 3 children, 7 grandchildren and many great grandchildren.  She will be remembered most for her generousity to loved ones. The way her smile would light up a room. Her passion for life never ceased to inspire those she loved, those who met her, and those she did not know.  She always said her greatest regret was not keeping in touch with those who passed through her life. She focused her efforts to teach her children never to forget the memories that their lives have created.

I do not have children yet, and the date was picked randomly. A lot of people in my class wrote "in God's hands"  My "most remembered for" are the things that I truly hope I accomplish in my life.  Aside from the money I make, the career I have, the differences I might make and be recognized for, I truly hope that I will be remembered for the love I have for others.  My "greatest regret" is something I feel now. It's a reminder to myself to keep in better touch with people and make a better effort to show them I care.

The exercise was interesting, and I think I found it easier since I am still in the beginnings of my life and have my whole life ahead of me to make those things happen or not. It's up to me to think about what is really going to matter in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah.... I still don't know what I think. It scares me. Maybe because, as you said, then you have to work to live that life that you want to be remembered by, and sometimes that can be a very hard and daunting thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!