Sunday, November 28, 2010

51/50: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies)I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book started out really slow for me. It took a long time to get going, leaving a lot of the story for the last quarter of the book, as well as all the action. We start out meeting David (John, #4) and his CĂȘpan Henri. They are living in Florida and have been hiding from the Mogadorians. Whenever something happens that could draw attention to John, they leave and move to another town.

The story starts with Henri and John moving to Paradise, Ohio. John starts to develop his legacies while living here. John starts a new school and I found it very typical. There's the nerdy kid, the pretty girl, and the jock boyfriend (in this case, ex-boyfriend). New kid in school grabs the attention of the pretty girl and the ex gets jealous, also finding a friend in the nerdy kid. After falling for the pretty girl, he starts to develop his first legacy. He trains with Henri to develop more.

I didn't feel like this book had a whole lot to offer. They come from another another planet, they have powers that are developing, there are bad guys coming to kill them. I found myself drawing parallels between the book and the TV series Smallville.

I did like the idea of the charm. The Lorien children have to be killed in order. One, Two and Three have already been killed, John is number four. It's an interesting theory and it made it interesting to know that he would be next. The action sequence in the last quarter of the book was pretty intense. I found myself ignoring everything around me just to finish the book and find out what happens next. I almost cried at one point as well, so the writer did a great job of getting you to connect and care about the characters.

All in all, it was an ok book. I wouldn't be rushing out to recommend it though.

Buy this book on Amazon

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!