Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I've never read Harry Potter

(runs and hides from the flame throwers)


Not entirely true, but in the grand scheme of things it may as well be.

I was dragged to the first movie when it came out in 2001 by my best friend. She insisted I see it and that it would make me want to read the books. I went, I saw, it was a good movie. Why would I want to read it if there’s a movie? (lets keep in mind I’m 16 at this point and not an avid reader like I am today)

Fast forward one year. I have yet to read the books, and am being dragged to see the second movie. I sit through it, enjoy myself, and am told repeatedly how much they cut out and how the book is WAY better. We graduated high school and I was nowhere near my friend by the time the next movie came out. I have yet to see another Harry Potter movie.

Let’s fast forward to 2010. I have read the first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. It took me 9 years to get around to reading the first book in the series. I read it, I remembered the movie. I read through it quickly because I already knew what happened. I didn’t have a hard time picturing anything since I’d seen the visual adaptation already. Here's my review.

It’s almost the end of 2010 and I’ve yet to read another Harry Potter book. I have the first 4 on my shelf, borrowed from my sister. There are so many books and so little time. Harry Potter isn’t top on my list.

With the new movie arriving this Friday, I keep seeing the previews for it and keep thinking I need to read the rest of them.

We’ll see what happens after my next few books on the list are complete.

4 comments:

  1. If we were in the same state I'd be dragging you to the Midnight showing. :)

    If you haven't read them by now you probably won't. I tried rereading them and the first 4 are harder to read. The writing style changes in the last 4 because the audience has grown up a little too. At least that's how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get your ass in gear woman! Read them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I'm probably biased since I've basically grown up reading and rereading and then rereading them again. I can't get enough! I personally feel like the books totally and completely outshine the movies, especially when they start changing directors and certain actors. But I can see why it would be hard to get into them now with all of the hoopla. I highly recommend though, it's a very intriguing world to get lost in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading the first one, I do think about what happens to Harry. Unless a book comes in from the library for me when I'm done my current read, I'll pickup book 2.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!