Sunday, March 27, 2011

14/50: Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Cryer's CrossCryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I read the Wake trilogy by Lisa McMann so I thought I should read her newest book. Cryer's Cross has a good premise. Two teenagers disappear in a small town where everyone knows everyone and there are no secrets. Every town has a secret, the question is, what is Cryer's Cross hiding? Kendall is a friend to one of the victims and has severe OCD.

I liked Kendall. I was able to undertand her and sympathize with her. I understood her OCD and liked the routine she had. The rest of the characters were good, but I needed more. It's like every character was touched on, but not nearly enough.

The story sounded good, but it took almost the entire book for something to come of the disappearance. There was the mysterious desk and the writing on it. There was the voices, but none of this was enough. I'm not sure how else to explain it. There needed to be more than what was given. It took until almost page 200/233 for the mystery to start being solved and then it ended. 30 pages to climax and resolve left me wanting more than what the book offered.

If you want a quick read, this is one to pick up, but I wouldn't buy it or re-read it. I probably won't think about it again after I return it to the library.

WBC2011: Anything you want - 5 points
Book Journey 2011: Montana (updated map)

View all my reviews

chicfit

2 comments:

  1. Hhhhhhmmm. Bummer. :/

    I haven't read Cryer's Cross, but I understand what you mean about a book needing more.

    I'm glad you reviewed it. Thanks!

    Jennifer
    http://littleshelf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed. It had a lot of potential but fell flat.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!