Sunday, April 17, 2011

19/50: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I StayIf I Stay by Gayle Forman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If I Stay was gorgeous. Haunting. Thought provoking. There is something about reading about that unknown between life and death that really makes you think. What would your choice be? Would you stay or go?

If I Stay was written in the form of memories in between Mia seeing what is going on around her comatose body. We learn about Mias life through he memories of her friends and family. They are bouncing from childhood to recent and back. I loved the way it was written. So many memories over the course of a day.
Mia is the classical geek (being a geek is a good thing!) and I appreciate her love for music. Adam is the punk-rocker and though they both love different genres, they are perfect for each other. I loved that despite their differences they drew to love each other in a way only they could. Mias parents were amazing. Teddy was perfect. They seemed like a normal family with all their imperfections. Nice to read a book where the teenager wasn't hating her parents and in angst. It was also nice to read a book where there wasn't a love triangle and the main character has to choose between one boy or the other.

I believe that if I would have read this book in one sitting, I would have sobbed through it. The initial incident at the beginning of the book threw me for a loop and I had to put it down to digest what had happened. I had no idea what the premise of the story really was other than Mia had to choose.

Definitely worth reading. Can't wait to read the nice one!

SBC 2011: Book picked by NBC - 10 Points
Book Journey 2011: Oregon

View all my reviews

chicfit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!