Sunday, May 30, 2010

27/50: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's StoneI feel like the only person that hasn't yet read Harry Potter. I was hesitant. I had gone to the movie with a friend of mine who read them when it first came out. Why would I need to read the book if there is a movie?
I finally got around to reading this book for the first time. Since I have already seen the movie, the story wasn't new for me. I find this one hard to review. I dislike reading books that have characters that make me angry. I had to put the book down several times when Malfoy and Snape were a part of the story. The fact that I can't stand those two characters shows how well written the book really is. I've been told that those characters become more prominent in the rest of the books, and I'm not sure I can deal with that. Although the books are so well written, I find it hard to want to read the rest of them knowing that I might be angry through them.
I did like Harry as a character. He is a force for good and very likable.  I did find him a little annoying is some spots, but then I remind myself he is Harry Potter! He's the wizard who survived!

It was a fast read, but it didn't convince me by itself to continue with the series. I've been told by a lot of people to keep reading as they just continue to get better. I should hope so, because this one didn't pull me in and convince me to read more about Harry and his friends. I realize it's a young adult book, and I know that most adults love them almost more than their children. I didn't feel that way. I read it, but it didn't make any profound difference to me. It was just another book.
 
Perhaps later on I'll read the second one and slowly get through the series, but I feel there are other books out there that I would like to read before the rest of these.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read them either! That is my goal for the summer. Last semester my students were seriously shocked that I hadn't read them, so I figured I better prepare myself for next school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read them all when they first came out :)I enjoyed them for the most part, but yeah as with most things I read them more to fit in. I at least owned at one point the Sookie Stackhouse series, but I borrowed Twilight AND Harry Potter from my younger cousins.

    Oh and I was thinking about you and avoiding writing lol http://www.impactmagazine.ca/sport-medicine/news-and-articles/prolotherapy-explained.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the link Chowsr. My Dr. is one of the authors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone you have heard from is correct: They get better! Book one and book two are basically tools to give you a lot of information you will need for the rest of the series. Book three is where it gets good, and I promise by the time you finish book four you'll be dying to get to the next one!

    Just remember: These books are popular for a reason. ;) And the movies veer in a totally different direction as the later books because they are so much more in-depth. Read them, and I promise you won't regret it. If you do, come over to my blog and feel free to kick my butt and say mean things about me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!