Friday, August 20, 2010

Fitness Friday: Couch to 5K

I know I've posted about the Couch to 5k training program before, but I never went anywhere with it.
By being off work, I have the time to do it and someone to jog with. She may have 4 legs and is covered in fur, but Beta is an awesome running partner. She always wants to go and never says no.

I wasn't really following the Couch to 5K until today. I've been going on walks, and last week started to job a little. The purpose wasn't for me, but to tire Beta out so I could get some study time in. After thinking about what I was doing, I realized I should probably think less of her, and think of my own training.  Keep in mind that I am NOT a runner, and I don't love it but I see the health benefits of it. My cardio sucks and I need to improve it if I'm going to start doing pole routines again. Dancing to a 3 - 4 minute song is a lot harder than you think! Thinking back to the past 2 weeks, here's my progression.

Week 1:
Jog 1 minute, walk 2 - 3 minutes. For 15 minutes.
Week 2:
Jog 1 minute, walk 2 minutes. For 20 minutes.

I'll be starting week 3 Monday and I am determined to finish this training program while I have the time.
Week 3:
Jog 90 seconds, Walk 90 seconds, Jog 3 minutes, Walk 3 minutes. Repeat

I'm not an overweight person by any means. Most people call me skinny. In my own eyes, I feel the same, except when it comes to my butt and my stomach. My butt jiggles more than it ever used to when I jog or run upstairs. This annoys me. My stomach isn't as flat as it used to be. I suppose now that I'm not 20 anymore, things start to stick where they will for the rest of time unless I do something about it.

As I mentioned above, this isn't to lose weight, although a little off the rear-end would be nice. This is to make my heart healthy and give me more energy.

Are you lazy like me? Do you want to get off the couch and start slowly?
Try the Couch to 5K program. It's pretty easy, and you can go at your own pace. It has only 3 workouts per week.

2 comments:

  1. I've thought about doing this too! I might start it once it starts cooling down a little bit outside or when I get back to the gym in September. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this last summer. I was definitely not the runner-type but it turned out to be really fun. I like running now even though I'm still not very good at it. I run with my dog too.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!