Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New Opportunities and a life change

Last Wednesday was a brutal day. I got laid off from my job. It was completely unexpected and I still have no idea why it happened. They aren't required to tell their reasons.  I was shocked, my family was shocked and I've heard from a few former co-workers they were shocked too.
So by 9:30 on Wednesday morning, I was on my way home.

I'm not a dwell on the past type of person. It sucks. It happened. There's nothing I can do about it. I'll never know why, and I have to learn to live with that. I need to look at what the future is going to hold for me now. I have a wonderful opportunity to figure out what I want to do with my life next. I'm in my mid-twenties, so I still have a lot of life to live.

If you've read my previous blog entires on my anxiety, you'll know that I was under a lot of stress and very unhappy. This unexpected unemployment is actually going to lead to bigger and better things. I was struggling with making a huge decision myself and was even thinking about timelines. Stress is a brutal thing that can destroy your outside world and your body. There's something to be said about stress and it's affects on the human body.

I'm sad that I don't have a job. I'm sad that I don't get to see such wonderful people every day. I'm happy that my stress levels will go down a little bit, and I'm happy that I have an opportunity to move on to something new.

I'm still not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm taking a bunch of career workshops to brush up the résumé, learn some valuable interview skills, networking skills and all sorts of other useful things you probably never think of taking classes for. I still want to remain in IT, but take a different approach to it. The IT world is so vast, I never thought of looking outside of programming. I think this will be a real eye-opener for me to see what else I can do with my degree.

As for the personal stuff, I'm excited to get some time to bond with Beta more. Since I'm home, she only really needs to go to doggy-day-care twice a week for socialization. It's one of those places that's good for her to go, but Frenchie and I can cut down the cost a little. Beta and I have been taking long walks when we're both home and it's been good to see how much she's improving.

On top of all that, I will get some more time to finish my fitness certification course. I've been struggling with it so hopefully this gives me the time I need to get it done. Time goes by so quickly! I'm running out  of it for this course and the deadline is approaching quickly.

Reading has sort of fell by the way-side. Since I'm not doing the 40 minute commute I haven't had a lot of time to read a book. Hopefully once this course is done and I have some sort of schedule I can get back into it.

To all my friends and family: Thank you for supporting me! You guys have been awesome and I'm so thankful for all you do.
To my blogger friends: Some of you already knew this, some of you didn't. Thank you for your support, it means a lot!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your layoff! That really sucks. Hopefully, better things are coming your way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate. I feel like this is a good thing. Everything happens for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of the layoff. Like pulling the rug out from under you. But it sounds like you're looking forward. I hope this will lead to good opportunities for you--and sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry. I hope it (quickly!) becomes a blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!