Wednesday, December 29, 2010

54/50: The Mockingbirds

The MockingbirdsThe Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I had a hard time ranking this book. I liked it, had a hard time putting it down, but something was missing.
Alex is dealing with the aftermath of being date-raped. She's at a school where the authorities don't care and think the students are only good and don't do anything wrong. This was my first problem. Yes, I can go along with this, but it just made me mad that adults would be so incredibly stupid and naive.
Aside from this, Alex is starting to remember what happened that night. Her emotions are portrayed very well. When she felt sick to her stomach after remembering something, I felt the same. The description was not for the light at heart. I know this was a YA book, and it should be categorized that way, but certainly for the older end of YA. (Should we not have another genre? YA16+ perhaps?)
The Mockingbirds are a secret society that help students in need. I felt they were a force for good and was so happy they exsited. The fact that they based their society on To Kill a Mockingbird was awesome.

The way Whitney dealt with the date-rape issue was good. She didn't push the no-means-no message in your face, but it was clear and there throughout the story.

I knew how I wanted this book to end and wasn't disappointed. There are no twists and turns, just a straightforward plot, begining, middle, end. It was a great read, but I felt something was missing. I just can't quite figure out what it is yet.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!