Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Therapy Tuesday: Off the Pole

I've started going to therapy to try and reduce my stress levels. I've gone before a number of years ago to help me get through a rough time in my life, so I know it works.
I went for one meeting over a month ago, and I felt peaceful afterwards. It didn't last long. the day continued and I felt overwhelmed, and everything went back to "normal".
I had some homework assignments from Session 1.
  • Complete an autobiography - This was very humbling and brought up a lot of memories, some that I had forgetten, some that I wish I had. I loved this assignment.
  • Start going through a CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) workbook for anxiety
  • Track my moods and what triggers any changes
After Session 2, we've thrown out two and three on that list. I over analyze things and dwell on things too much. We are taking a different approach now. Reduce stress not by attacking it's source, but by doing positive things to combat it. So instead of thinking of how "cruddy thing 1 and 2" made me anxious, I should think of how "happy thing 1 and 2" made me feel and why. I need to concentrate on amping up doing the things I love and make me happy. I have also been recommended to go to a group therapy class for anxiety. My stress/anxiety has caused me to lose about 15 lbs and I'm not boardering on an unhealthy weight. Finding like-people would be beneficial. I feel alone in this battle a lot of the time, even with the support of family and friends.

I have new homework assignments:
  • Increase doing things I love - I will pole more than just once this week. I will sit and read my book.
  • Take walks and get some fresh air. The exercise will help. I can certainly do this and at the same time train Beta! Two birds with one stone.
  • Focus on telling myself I'm beautiful, not too thin, and it doesn't matter what people say.
  • Learn that "it doesn't matter"
I think I can manage to do two of those with no problem. The second two will take some work, and time.

4 comments:

  1. If you want to follow my journey through the psych world, http://dogwithjob.blogspot.com/
    Hope all is going well on this front, and remember, you're not alone with these kind of issues.

    Melanie
    (SerriaDame on Pole Junkies)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serria! Hello fellow PJ!
    I will absolutely follow your blog.
    I hope you find the right dog. They are a life partner, and you're is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with everything! I know you're strong enough to lead the life you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a difference between living the life you want, and the life you are living. I haven't really figured out what I want yet.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!