Wednesday, April 7, 2010

17/25: Wake by Lisa McMann

5 stars!
I started and finished this book within 24 hours. I had to force myself to put it down when I got to work in the morning, after I had finished my lunch and before I went to bed.

Wake (Wake Series, Book 1)Wake is about Janie, a high school girl with a big secret. She gets pulled into the dreams of those sleeping near her, helpless to do anything but watch. It's a young-adult paranormal romance. I hadn't expected to read it but a co-worker lent it to me saying she read all three books in teh series in a couple days. I couldn't get enough of it. The characters are believable in the way they talk to each other. Their emotions are true for what you would expect for characters in high school.

Janie is a character that has triumphed over a bad home life, keeping a secret from everyone she knows, and working towards a life that will take her away from the one she has. I like her as the main character and intend to read more about her in the next two books. She's not a whiney teenager, she's a tough one who sucks it up feeling lost but able to survive.

The concept of her being in other people's dreams is cool. I haven't read a book like that before and the storyline kept me interested. She develops and learns about herself and how to control her ability throughout the book, making you root for her the whole way through.

I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a book they can start and finish in a short amount of time. It's very enjoyable and pulled me in right from the beginning.

This book counts for the SBC towards the 10 point task "Read a book set in high school or college"

The next books in the Wake Trilogy are Fade  and  Gone.
Fade (Wake Series, Book 2) (Wake Trilogy)Gone (Wake Series, Book 3) (Wake Trilogy)

2 comments:

  1. This is a little off-topic, but thank you so much for your kind words on my blog. It means a lot to me - to us - to get that kind of support from our dear readers.
    Merci beaucoup <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bienvenue!
    I know what it's like to be alone, I'm doing that right now, but for nearly as long as you. My fiancé is home every 10 days.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!