Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Therapy Tuesday: On The Pole

For the next 4 weeks I'm continuing to assist in a level 4 class. I'm trying very hard to learn and figure out how to teach a move properly and what advice I can give the students. I'm enjoying the learning process. I do feel a little lost sometimes and am certain that myself and the instructor of the class have different ways of teaching. It's good for me to see how someone else would teach it. I'm able to listen to their instructions, and then add my own.

We were working on a move that I myself have not gotten consistently yet. That makes it difficult to teach. The wrist sit is my nemesis move. I can get it sometimes, but most of the time I fail. The students all struggled with it. I told them it's a tough one and it will be one they will need to work on for a while.

The plank was also a move they got introduced to. This move is a foundation move. It leads into so many others and really gets your body used to being horizontal on the pole. Not a normal feeling.

(Pictures courtesy of PoleJunkies)

In my own class following the level 4, I got over a brain-block. Or at least I started to. I've had a problem transitioning out of the superman back into the gemini hook. When I was learning the superman, I didn't get my hips down far enough once and nearly hit my face square with the pole as I fell forwards. Not a good feeling. Thankfully I didn't, but the feeling has stayed in my sub-concious. My instructor helped me get over that a little last night. She supported my torso and made me feel more comfortable. I knew she would catch me if I was in any danger. I did the move several times and got a little better at it. Hopefully I will be able to practice a little more on this and get over it fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!