Thursday, April 15, 2010

Naturopath - Prolotherapy

I have had wrist problems for about 5 years now and it seems to come and go. Lately there's been less 'go'.
I have been in physiotheraphy every 1 - 3 months (depending on my pain level) for the past 3 years. I go for regular massage therapy every 1 - 2 months.  I've been told many things. It's carpal tunnel. It's a repetitive strain injury. It's stress related. My neck, shoulders and back are so tight it's pinching the nerves down into my wrist. Whatever it is, it's not getting better, it's not going away.

I'm 25 years old. I can barely hold my 6 month old niece for more than 5 minutes before my wrist gives out and I have to put her down. I don't have my own children yet, but I sure as hell want to be able to hold them when I do. I can barely hold onto my mouse to use the computer by mid-work day. I'm young. I have a long life ahead of me and not being able to use my hands properly is a very scary thought. At this point, I fear nothing will make me better. I'm tired of being massaged and poked with accupuncture needles. It's not painful to have treatment, I'm just annoyed that something that worked a year ago for a while, isn't cutting it anymore.

Everyone says it's related to dance. It's not. I know this for 3 reasons.
  1. I wasn't pole dancing 5 years ago when it first started. I've only been dancing for 2 years.
  2. I had a lot of wrist pain by Tuesday morning this week and had not touched the pole since the previous week. Why would the pain creep up a week later?
  3. I can go to IPC and dance for 6 hours both days and not have pain. Yes, there is some inflamation, but you'd get that from any sport if you did it long enough. At that point, my wrist is not pained, it's just tired and weak.
My physiotherapist yesterday told me I should try prolotherapy. She recommended I go see a naturopath as they do this sort of treatment. It's covered by benefits thank goodness. I have my first appointment tomorrow morning.
I should probably explain prolotherapy a little. I don't know a lot about it, other than it's new, and is supposed to be great for joint-related issues. I will know more tomorrow but for now, you can go and learn more about it. Prolotherapy

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Aww I hope this works out !!
    Thank you so much for your sweet comment. Getting this kind of support means the world to me <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! We're definitely too young to have chronic pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! I hope it all goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will let you all know!

    @French Lover - I know how it feels to have someone away and do the relationship long distance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the pole front. When I'm not poling, I can sprain my wrists just by leaning on them. I've done damage in both. Pole makes the muscles strong enough to support the damaged tendons. Same with the stretched one in my knee. Pole does a body good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed Psych! Pole is good for mind, body and soul.

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!