Thursday, April 22, 2010

Movie Review (4): "Whip It"

I finally got around to watching this movie. I loved it!
I have a friend who is on a roller derby team, and I've never quite understood the draw to it. On the other hand, she doesn't understand my draw to pole either. After seeing this movie, I get it. I totally get the joy and the fun and the blood and sweat behind roller derby and what makes her love it so much.

Ellen Page did a wonderful job in her role as "Babe Ruthless". She was a believable character. Young, 17 years old and looking for something to help her forget her life.

This movie certainly did not make me want to strap on some roller skates and join a team, but I would love to go and see a bout some day.

One of the things that struck me about this movie was how it didn't end like every chick flick does. I won't give the ending away, but just say it was refreshing. It was real and not fairy-tale.

1 comment:

  1. I love Drew Barrymore and this has been on my queue for forever--come on Netflix!

    ReplyDelete

Everytime you comment, I do a jig!